Days into the start of fireworks sales for the July 4 holiday, Comal County Commissioners will consider issuing a burn ban when they meet in regular weekly session on Thursday.
Burn bans are usually invoked when the Keetch-Byram Drought Index (KBDI), which gauges and assigns point values for forest fire potential in Texas counties, exceeds a 500-point average in the county. Each 100 points of the KBDI is roughly equivalent to an inch of dry soil depth.
Comal County’s KBDI average — representing the mean between the highest (532) and lowest (382) readings — totaled 454 on Monday. The last temporary ban on burning in unincorporated county areas was issued Dec. 6, 2019 and lifted Jan. 17.
In addition to the weekly COVID-19 update, citizen comments and reports from department
staffers and elected officials on items of community interest, commissioners will also discuss and consider approving:
• A donation benefiting the Comal County Sheriff’s Office K-9 program.
• Amended plats combining lots in portions of the Canyon Lake Hills subdivision.
• An easement agreement with New Braunfels Utilities for installations of utilities to portable buildings used for temporary operations and upcoming CCSO renovations.
• A professional services agreement between HHM & Associates, Inc. and the Comal County Historical Commission for services associated with Main Plaza’s nomination to the U.S. Park Service’s National Register of Historic Places; an amendment to the county’s Texas Historical Commission certified local government grant contract.
• The nomination of one individual to the Texas Water Development Board’s Regional Flood Planning Group.
• Several agreements with various agencies and companies for medical, dental and other employee benefit services for the 2020-21 fiscal year.
• Reclassifications of two positions and a line-item budget transfer (equipment; operating costs) for the Criminal District Attorney’s office.
• Line-item budget transfers for purchases of equipment for the sheriff’s office, Precinct 3 Constable’s office, and human resources department.
Commissioners meet at 8:30 a.m. Thursday in Commissioners Courtroom, 100 Main Plaza in New Braunfels. To access the meeting video and agenda, visit www.co.comal.tx.us/agenda.htm.